1. Figure out who should apply for CCB benefits

Only one person in your household can apply for the Canada child benefit (CCB) for your child.

If you and the child’s other parent live together, the should apply.

Primarily responsible parent

The law says that the parent who’s “primarily responsible” is the one who takes care of the child on a daily basis. If both parents do this, it should be the parent who spends more time taking care of the child’s needs.

Families with female and male parents

In a family with a female and male parent, the law automatically considers the female parent or guardian to be the primarily responsible parent. 

Same-sex parents and fathers

When applying for the CCB, you might need a letter from your child’s other parent that says you’re the primarily responsible parent, if:

  • you’re in a same-sex relationship
  • you’re a father

Shared custody

If you and the child’s other parent have , you each get half of the CCB payment.

Shared custody is when you and the child’s other parent spend close to same amount of time with the child.

You and your child’s other parent both need to apply for the CCB and should put information about the shared custody in your applications.

Hide this website