2. Apply for the Canada child benefit

You can apply for the Canada child benefit (CCB) by:

You must have proof of the birth of your child if:

  • the Canada Revenue Agency has not paid benefits to anyone for this child, and
  • your child was born outside of Canada or is more than one year old.

The document that proves your child’s birth must have the child’s full name and the date they were born.

Other documents

You must also fill out and attach RC66SCH Status in Canada / Statement of Income if you or your spouse or :

  • became a new resident or returned as a resident of Canada in the last 2 years
  • became a Canadian citizen in the last 12 months
  • are a , or refugee, or who has lived in Canada for the past 18 months
  • are covered by the Indian Act and not a Canadian citizen

If you have a partner who does not live in Canada for part of the year, you need to include CTB9 Canada Child Benefit – Statement of Income for the time they’re not living in Canada.

When your spouse or common-law partner immigrates to Canada, they need to send the Canada Revenue Agency their:

  • (SIN)
  • date of birth
  • address
  • date you moved to Canada
  • statement of income

Social Insurance Number

Usually, you need to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to apply for the CCB.

If you need to apply for a SIN, there’s information on the Government of Canada website.

If you can’t get a SIN, you can still apply for the CCB if you’re eligible in every other way.

You must also attach a note to your CCB application explaining why you can’t get a SIN and a photocopy of one of these documents:

Hide this website