4. Complain to the Ministry of Consumer Services

If you have a problem that you are not able to work out with a seller, you can file a complaint with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.

The Ministry can look into complaints and can order the seller to follow the rules. The Ministry can also take the seller to court for violating the Consumer Protection Act. If the seller is found guilty, they can get a warning, a fine, or even be sent to jail, and they may be ordered to pay some money to you.

To contact the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services:

Toll-free 1-800-889-9768

Toronto area 416-326-8800

TTY Toll-free 1-877-666-6545

TTY Toronto area 416-229-6086

Fax 416-326-8665

Website www.ontario.ca/mcs

Email consumer@ontario.ca

Mailing Address:

Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
Consumer Protection Branch
5775 Yonge Street, Suite 1500
Toronto, ON M7A 2E5

Hide this website