Guided Pathway for children, support, and property in separation and divorce: Form 8
CLEO’s Family Law Guided Pathways help you fill out the court forms you need for your family law matter.
You can use this pathway to fill out Form 8: Application (General). The pathway asks you questions, gives you information to help answer them, and puts your answers in the required forms. The pathway is free to use.
When you’re finished, you can save or print your forms. You will also get instructions about how to give them to the court.
Who is this guided pathway for?
You can use this pathway if you want to ask the court for:
- decision-making responsibility, which used to be called child custody
- parenting time, which used to be called child access
- child support
- spousal support
- property division
- other family law orders like a restraining order
- a divorce together with any other orders dealing with the issues above
If you’re asking for a divorce, you or your spouse must have lived in Ontario for the past 12 months. And if you’re asking for anything related to your children, they must live in Ontario.
Who is the pathway not for?
This pathway is not for people who want just a divorce. If you want a divorce only, you need to use another pathway.
You shouldn’t use this pathway if you:
- have already filed a Form 8: Application (General) with the court
- have a final court order and want to ask the court to change it
- want an expedited order, which means you want the court to decide something quickly
- want an order without giving your spouse or your child’s other parent notice of the hearing
If you’re not sure whether to use this pathway, talk to a lawyer.
Using the pathway
It can take less than 1 hour or 4 hours or more to complete the pathway depending on your situation and what you’re asking the court for.
It can take less time if you have all your documents ready when you start. The pathway is divided into steps. At the beginning of each step, there’s a list of the information that you need to continue.
You can sign up to create an account or use the pathways as a guest. If you choose not to create an account, the system will time out after 4 hours. You must create an account if you want to save your work on the system or use the other pathways.
If you need help using the Guided Pathways, or have questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.