4. Apply for a work permit

You can apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for an open work permit after they make a positive decision at Stage 1 of your . An open work permit does not name the employer or require you to work for a single employer. And you don’t need a job offer before you apply. But you can’t work for an employer in a business where you could be sexually exploited, for example, a strip club or escort agency.

Working can help to show that you’re settled in Canada and that you can support yourself and any family members who depend on you. So if you can work, it’s a good idea to get a work permit and look for a job.

Applying for a work permit

You can apply for a work permit online or you can fill in a paper application and send it to IRCC. You have to pay a fee of $155 to apply.

IRCC has online tools you can use to check:

Or you can call the IRCC Client Support Centre at 1-888-242-2100.

IRCC will mail your work permit to you or send you a letter if your application is not approved.

Apply for a Social Insurance Number

To work in Canada, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

You can apply for a SIN at a Service Canada office. If you live 100 kilometres or more from a Service Canada office, you might be able to apply by mail.

To apply, you need documents that prove who you are and what your status is in Canada.

If you have the right documents, Service Canada should be able to give you a SIN right away.

Your SIN will be a 9-digit number that starts with the number “9”. Your SIN is temporary and is only valid until the expiry date on your work permit. If you need to extend your open work permit, you should apply to IRCC at least 30 days before the permit expires.

Hide this website