2. Tell IRCC about changes

It can take a long time, even a few years, before you get a decision about your . And in that time, your situation can change.

It’s important to tell Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) about changes. And it can be helpful to update them if you have more that supports your application.

Changes to your contact information

If your address or other contact information changes after you’ve made your application, you need to give IRCC your new contact information.

Changing your representative

Complete and send in the Use of Representative form if you:

  • made your H&C application on your own and now want someone to represent you
  • want to cancel the representative you have
  • want to name a new representative
  • want to change the contact information for your representative

Changes in your life

You must tell IRCC if there are significant changes to information that you put in your application. This includes changes to your personal information, such as:

  • getting married
  • getting divorced
  • having children

New evidence

It can be helpful to give IRCC any evidence that you get after you send in your application. For example, you might have:

  • evidence that shows you’re now more settled or established in Canada
  • new evidence about hardship you would face if you had to leave Canada
  • new evidence about other reasons you gave to support your application
  • evidence of new reasons that support your application

Make sure to send any new evidence to IRCC as soon as you have it. IRCC can decide about your H&C application at any time.

Getting legal help

You may not be sure whether to send in certain information or evidence and how or when to do it. A lawyer who knows immigration law can give you advice and help doing this.

Hide this website