If your landlord gives you a notice, check if it’s filled out correctly

Notice to End your Tenancy

If your landlord has given you one of these forms, read it carefully to see if there is a way for you to cancel the :

For example, if the notice is for non-payment of rent, you can cancel it by paying the rent within the time limit.

Application to the Landlord and Tenant Board

You might get a form whose title starts with “Application to evict a tenant” or “Application to End a Tenancy“, especially Forms L1, L2, or L4.

This means your landlord has applied to the Board to have you evicted. You will have to do at least one of the following:

  • If the is about non-payment of rent, stop the eviction by paying the rent plus the landlord’s costs.
  • Make an agreement with your landlord.
  • Go to a hearing.
  • Move out.

If you do nothing, the Board will probably make an eviction against you.

If you get an Application to Collect Rent the Tenant Owes (Form L9), it means your landlord is asking the Board to make you pay, but not to have you evicted. In this case your options are similar to the list above, except you do not have to move out, and the Board cannot make an eviction order against you.

Hide this website