3. Talk to your partner

You and your partner can try to agree on their gross income without going to court. You can talk to your partner on your own, with the help of someone you both trust, or with the help of a lawyer or mediator.

If you know your partner works for cash or is unemployed or underemployed on purpose, talk to them about this. Tell them about the evidence you gathered.

Tell them if they are not honest you will ask the court to . This means asking the judge to decide that your partner earns more than they say or can earn more.

Also try to agree on a way to get updated information about the parent’s income each year. You can agree to get copies of their most recent income tax return or notice of assessment every year. You can use this information to make sure the right amount of is being paid.

There is an online calculator at the Child Support Table Look-up that can help you figure out the table amount of child support.

If you and your partner agree, you can put what you’ve agreed to in a separation agreement. This is a written contract that you and your partner make.

Your has to follow certain rules to make it binding and enforceable under the law. This means your agreement is made in a way that allows the court to order you or your partner to do what the agreement says, if either of you stop following it.

For example, the rules say before you sign your agreement, you must understand it, the process is fair, and that you and your partner give complete and honest information about your finances.

Talking to your partner may not be an option where there is a history of partner abuse.

Hide this website