5. Ask the court to impute income

If you think your partner is hiding income or not earning what they could, you can go to court and ask the judge to to your partner. This means asking the judge to decide that your partner earns more than they say or can earn more.

The judge imputes income based on what your partner is capable of earning or what the judge thinks your partner actually makes.

The judge does this by looking at your partner’s:

  • work history
  • past income
  • age
  • skills
  • education
  • health
  • job opportunities
  • lifestyle

If the judge decides to impute income to your partner, they will use that amount to make decisions about when applying the and the Government of Canada’s child support tables.

Hide this website