3. Serve your partner

You must your partner with a copy of your documents by within 30 days of having it .

Rule 6: Service of documents tells you how to serve your documents. There is also a guide on how to serve documents.

You can’t give them your documents directly. You have to get a family member or friend who is at least 18 years old or a professional to give your partner the documents. Or, you can leave them with your partner’s lawyer.

If there is an assignee you can serve them by regular mail.

Whoever serves the documents on your partner must fill out Form 6B: Affidavit of Service. In it, they say when, where, and how they served your partner. The form proves that your partner got a copy of your documents and knows that they have to respond to them.

File your documents

You need to  your court forms, supporting documents, and Form 6B: Affidavit of Service with the court.

Rule 1.1 Electronic filing and issuance of documents tells you how to file your documents. There is also a guide on how to file documents.

You can now file most family law forms and supporting documents online, including a . For more information, read the question How do I file court forms for my family law case online?

If you can’t use the online service or if you don’t want to file your forms or documents online, you can file them in person at the same level of court that made your . So, if the Superior Court of Justice made the order, you must go back to a Superior Court of Justice in the jurisdiction that your child currently lives to change it.

But before you file your documents, you must remove all financial account numbers and personal identifying information. You do this by blacking out information like:

  • social insurance numbers
  • bank account numbers
  • credit card numbers
  • account numbers for mortgages, lines of credit, and other loans

You must keep the original documents that shows this information. A judge might ask to see it.

Hide this website