4. Report the injury to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board

You may be able to make a claim for workers’ compensation benefits.

Workers’ compensation benefits are payments for injuries or diseases that are related to the work you were doing. Workers’ compensation is paid by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).

You have to report your accident to the WSIB.

You may be able to get benefits for things like:

  • you didn’t get because of your injury
  • health care costs
  • travel costs to go to your doctor or to therapy
  • retirement income you can’t get because of your injury
  • a “work transition assessment”, which is meant to help you get work if you can’t return to a job with your employer

You might also be able to get workers’ compensation benefits if you’re permanently disabled because of your injury.

And you might be able to get:

  • an independent living allowance if you have a severe permanent
  • money to pay for clothing that’s damaged by braces and wheelchairs

Even if you continued to work at your regular job and didn’t lose any wages, it’s important to make a claim because:

  • you might get benefits to pay for your medical expenses
  • your injury could be permanent or get worse

When you make a claim, you have to fill out the Worker’s Report of Injury/Disease (Form 6). In the section called “Additional Information”, give as much information as you can about:

  • where you were when you got hurt
  • why you believe your injury is a work injury
Hide this website