Why do I want to go to family court?

As of March 1, 2021, the term has changed to . And in most situations, the term has changed to . Now, all parents usually have parenting time.

Also, a person who isn’t a parent or step-parent may get a to spend time with a child. For example a grandparent can get this order.

Many couples, whether or in a , need help to resolve their legal issues after they separate or .

Some couples are able to resolve their issues on their own. Other couples may not be able to. In family law you must think about using (ADR) or a family dispute resolution process to resolve your issues out of court if it’s suitable for you.

Some examples of ADR processes are , , , and .

Each family court location in Ontario offers subsidized mediation services. You can get up to 8 hours of mediation for a fee that is based on each person’s income. You can use this service whether or not you have a court case. And if you have a court case, you can get up to 2 hours of mediation for free at the court.

But maybe you and your partner cannot agree, even with the help of a family law professional working in ADR. Or, maybe working with a family law professional isn’t the right option for you. For example, if:

  • one person is afraid of another person because there is a history of family violence 
  • there are serious mental health or drug abuse issues

In this situation, it may be better to start a family law court case to resolve your issues.

Going to court can be a complicated process and it can take a lot of time. It can be stressful and expensive, but it is sometimes necessary to decide your issues

Trying another option

After you are in court, you and your partner can still agree to pause your case if you want to try to reach an agreement out of court.

There isn’t one option that is best for everyone. The best option to resolve your issues depends on things like your relationship with your partner, how complicated your legal issues are, and your goals.

Hide this website