1. Fill out the application

You have to apply for a Form 74.14 Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee without a Will. This Certificate confirms that the has the legal right to deal with the .

You apply for the Certificate at the Superior Court of Justice in the area where the person lived or owned .

The application asks for a lot of information, including:

  • where and when the person died,
  • details about whether they were single, , or divorced, and
  • the value of the estate.

This means you have to find and value all and of the estate. You may have to arrange for some assets to be valued. For example, assets like real estate, art or jewellery.

Assets are valued based on their fair market value on the date of the person’s death. Fair market value is the amount a reasonable person would pay. Make sure you keep copies of any estimates you get from experts or appraisers.

Hide this website