Find out about other legal help for people with low incomes

If you can’t afford to hire a lawyer and you don’t qualify for help from Legal Aid Ontario (LAO), there are some other places where you might be able to get help with your refugee claim.

The Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic

The Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic is a United Way agency that is not part of LAO. The clinic has its own rules that determine who can use its services. The clinic serves low-income and middle-income women who live in Toronto and who have experienced violence. The clinic has an immigration and refugee lawyer on staff who can give advice or full representation in some cases. You can call Central Intake at 416-323-9149 ext. 234 or fill out and submit their intake form online.


JusticeNet is a not-for-profit organization that helps people find legal help when their income is too high to qualify for legal aid but too low to afford legal fees. If your net family income is less than $59,000, JusticeNet will refer you to a directory of lawyers and paralegals who offer help at reduced rates. To use the website, you must register and pay a $25 fee. This fee might be returned to you if you don’t find a professional to work with. 

Hide this website