2. Figure out who needs to fill out the form

All members of your family who are claiming refugee protection with you must complete their own Basis of Claim Form (BOC).

But if you have a child who is younger than 18 years, you can complete and sign the BOC for them.

If your child is 6 years old or younger, you only need to complete the “Who you are” section on page 2 of their BOC. If your child is older than 6 years, you must complete all sections of their BOC.

The Refugee Board is likely to appoint you as your child’s designated representative. This means you must explain the refugee protection process to your child and make decisions for them about their claim, including whether or not to hire a lawyer or legal representative.

If you are under 18 years old

If you’re under 18 years old and you’re making a refugee claim in Canada without parents or a legal guardian, the Refugee Board will appoint a designated representative for you as soon as possible. A designated representative can be your relative or a friend. Or it might be a lawyer or an employee of a social services agency, such as a social worker.

If you don’t know another family member or friend in Canada, and you don’t have anyone else who can act as a designated representative, someone will be appointed for you.

The designated representative should help you complete the BOC and will sign the BOC on your behalf when it is complete.

Hide this website