4. Call an inspector

If your landlord does not fix the problem, you can call your local property standards or department, or your town or city hall, municipal office, or local councillor. Many cities, towns, and other municipalities have inspectors who can order your landlord to get the utility turned back on. If an inspector makes an , you should ask for a copy of it.

If there are no housing standards by-laws where you live, the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU) is responsible for making sure landlords follow the provincial standards. You can call the RHEU at 1-888-772-9277.

Hide this website