Check if you have a cohabitation agreement

You may have a that says how you and your partner divide your and after you separate.

If one of you no longer wants to follow this agreement, that person may ask the court for an order to set aside the cohabitation agreement. This means the court allows you not to follow all or part of the agreement.

But the other person can ask the court to make an order that divides your property in the way you agreed to in your agreement.

The courts encourage people to decide their issues on their own. So if you have an agreement, the courts won’t set aside your agreement easily.

Hide this website