5. Collect your spousal support

Usually is paid each month. In some cases, you can get one payment, called a “lump-sum” payment.

Support can be for a set period of time or it may not have an end date. This depends on the facts of your situation.

You can get your spousal support payments in:

  • cash
  • cheque or money order
  • direct deposit
  • interac e-transfer

It’s a good idea to keep a record of all the spousal support payments you receive. For example, each time you receive a payment, write a receipt for your partner, and sign and date it. Keep a copy for yourself.

Paying taxes on the support you get

If you have a or that says you get monthly spousal support payments, you must pay income tax on the support you receive. Your partner can claim a tax deduction for making monthly spousal support payments.

If you get your spousal support all at once in a lump-sum, you do not pay taxes on it. Your partner cannot claim a tax deduction for making the spousal support payment.

Your partner is not paying support on time

If your partner misses payments, you can get help from the (FRO).

The FRO is a government agency that collects support directly from the person who has to pay support, keeps a record of the amounts paid, and then pays that amount to the person who has to get support.

If you have a court order, the court automatically sends the order to FRO for enforcement. If you have a separation agreement, it must be filed with the court and registered with the FRO for enforcement.

Hide this website