2. Get emotional support

You can talk to someone you trust about the abuse, such as a doctor, nurse, lawyer, social worker, or counsellor.

A friend or family member might be able to support you. But they might not know how to support you. And they may not understand how abuse affects victims differently. Friends or family might also feel they need to take sides. Or, they might not understand how important your privacy is. This might happen if they are friends with both you and your partner.

Professionals can help

There are professionals you can talk to about your situation. They can also help you leave an abusive relationship.

For emergency, 24-hour a day telephone support, you can call:

You can call a helpline anonymously. This means you do not have to give your name and contact information.

You can also call your local shelter for abused women. Most shelters have staff available 24 hours a day to answer your call. You can also arrange to go to the shelter to meet with someone.

To meet with someone, you can also contact:

Hide this website