1. Get help right away if you are in danger

911 for police, ambulance, fire

If you or someone you love is in danger from abuse, you need to get emergency help right away.

You may have someone you can call who can help right away. You may also want to contact the police by calling 911.

The police have a duty to contact a if they think any children have been harmed or are at risk of being harmed. The Children’s Aid Society (CAS) is the government agency that is responsible for protecting children from harm and abuse.


Shelters for abused women can provide you with a safe place to stay.

Most shelters have staff available 24 hours a day to answer your call. You can also arrange to go to the shelter to meet with someone.

You can find your local shelter by visiting sheltersafe.ca or 211ontario.ca or by calling 2-1-1 from anywhere in Ontario.


There is emergency, 24-hour a day telephone support available. These helplines offer emotional support over the telephone and can refer you to community services for people who’ve experienced abuse. Their services are available free of charge. You can call:

If you speak French, you can call: 

Hide this website