Ask the Ontario Labour Relations Board to hear your case

You can make an application to the Ontario Labour Relations Board (OLRB) if you think your employer is punishing you for making a safety complaint. 

This kind of application is sometimes called a “Section 50 complaint”. This is because the rule which says your employer can’t punish you for safety complaints is section 50 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

A Labour Relations Officer from the OLRB will try to help you and your employer come to an agreement. If you can’t agree, the OLRB will schedule a consultation or hearing

You should try to get legal advice before you make an application to the OLRB.

The Law Society Referral Service can give you the name of a lawyer or paralegal you can consult with for free, for up to 30 minutes.

JusticeNet is a program for Canadians with low or moderate incomes. It connects people with lawyers and paralegals who charge lower legal fees based on your income.

You could also contact the Workers’ Health & Safety Legal Clinic, which helps people with low incomes who are having health and safety problems at work.

If you’ve been injured or punished by your employer for complaining about , you can also contact the Office of the Worker Adviser. They can give you information and legal advice if you don’t have a .

Hide this website