1. Find out if you’re covered by workers’ compensation

Ask your employer if they pay contributions to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). If they do, then you know you’re covered. If they do not, but they are supposed to pay contributions, you will also be covered. 

If you aren’t sure if you’re covered or your employer can’t or won’t tell you:

  • ask your representative, if you’re in a union
  • call the WSIB at 1-800-387-0750, 416-344-1000, or 1-800-387-0050 (TTY)

Industries that don’t have to be part of the workers’ compensation system

There are a few industries that do not have to be part of the system. But employers in these industries can apply to the WSIB for what’s called “optional coverage”.  

These industries include:

  • banks, trust companies, and insurance companies
  • private health care practices, such as medical doctors and chiropractors
  • private daycare
  • travel agencies
  • barbers and hair salons
  • funeral directing and embalming
  • trade unions
  • clubs (such as health clubs)
  • photographers
  • taxidermists

Your employer should let you know if they have optional coverage. If you are still in doubt, it may be safest to file with the WSIB and let them determine whether or not your employment is covered.

Hide this website