Complain to the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services

If the repair shop has broken the rules in the Consumer Protection Act, you can file a complaint with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services using their complaint form.

Before the Ministry will help, you must send a written complaint to the repair shop. Be sure to keep a copy of the letter. Send the letter by registered mail so that you have proof that the repair shop got your letter. Your letter should include:

  • your name and address
  • the date
  • the name of the repair shop and their address
  • the date you contacted them or authorized the repair
  • the work you had done
  • the price you paid
  • the reasons why you disagree with the charges
  • specific instructions about how you want to solve the problem. For example, ask for a refund, return, etc.
  • the date by which you want a response from them (3 weeks is reasonable)

When you send you letter be sure to include:

  • your evidence, like copies, not originals, of receipts, invoices, contracts, or other relevant documents
  • your signature

The Ministry can investigate your complaint, order the repair shop to follow the law, and even take the repair shop to court. If the repair shop is found guilty of breaking the law or an order from the Ministry, they can be ordered to pay you back the money, fined, or sent to jail.

Hide this website