1. Contact duty counsel

If you have a personal emergency at the last minute and can’t attend court, contact the duty counsel office at your courthouse. They will tell the court about your situation and ask for a for you.

The justice of the peace or the judge will decide whether to:

  • order a discretionary bench warrant and your matter, or
  • order a bench warrant for your arrest.

Every case is different. It’s up to the court to decide if they will give you a discretionary warrant. The court will be more likely to issue a discretionary bench warrant if your absence has been explained.

Hide this website