Can my landlord make me move out for repairs or renovations?

Some work that requires a building permit cannot be done while people are living there. If your landlord says you have to move out for this reason, they must give you at least 120 days’ in writing. The notice should be on a Form N13 from the .

If you get this kind of notice, you have a few options. You may be able to:

  • challenge the notice if you think there is something wrong with it or that what it says isn’t true
  • move out by giving as little as 10 days’ notice
  • protect your right to move back in when the work is complete
  • have your landlord pay you compensation or offer you another unit
Hide this website