Can I be evicted because my place is being sold?

Your landlord might want to you if they are trying to sell your place. This is a legal reason for eviction only if the buyer or the buyer’s close family member wants to move in.

If so, the landlord must first give you a written . The notice should be on a form called Notice to End your Tenancy Because the Landlord, a Purchaser or a Family Member Requires the Rental Unit – Form N12.

Also, your landlord must:
•    offer you another acceptable unit to move to, or
•    pay you at least one month’s rent.

You do not have to move out just because you get this notice. If you do not move out and the Board does not evict you, the person who buys your place, the “purchaser”, will become your new landlord.

But if you do want to move, you can give your landlord as little as 10 days’ notice, instead of the usual 60 days.

To ask the Board to evict you, your landlord must file an Application to End a Tenancy and Evict a Tenant – Form L2. The Board or your landlord should send you a copy of this and a Notice of Hearing.

There are things you can do before the hearing to try to reach an agreement with your landlord. If you and your landlord do not make an agreement, your case will go to a hearing at the Board.

At the hearing, your landlord must show:

  • that they have followed all the right steps in their application, and
  • that the purchaser honestly plans to move into your place.

You need to prepare for the hearing and think about the best ways to challenge your landlord’s case at the hearing.

Hide this website