My child doesn’t want to visit my partner. What should I do?

As of March 1, 2021, the term  has changed to . And in most situations, the term  has changed to . Now, all parents usually have parenting time.

Also, a person who isn’t a parent or step-parent may get a to spend time with a child. For example a grandparent can get this order.

It’s not unusual for a child to say they don’t want to visit the other parent.

If you have an agreement or that says your partner has parenting time, which used to be called access, then your child must usually spend time with them. This may apply even if your child is not feeling well or has an activity on that day.

It’s part of your job as a parent to make sure that you support your child’s relationship with your partner, no matter how you feel about them. You should encourage your child to visit with your partner and to have a good relationship with them.

Talk to your child about what’s bothering them and why they don’t want to go on the visit. When talking to your child about their concerns, be careful to listen to your child. Don’t impose your own views or feelings about your partner. It’s important to keep your child out of any conflict you and your partner are having.

There can be different reasons why your child doesn’t want to visit and it’s important to understand why they don’t want to go. Once you know your child’s reasons for not wanting to go, then you may know what to do to help them.

Refusing parenting time

You can refuse to allow parenting time only in specific situations, such as if you’re afraid for your child’s safety. You may have to call your local if you believe your child is being abused by your partner or someone in their home.

You may also want to go to court to stop your partner from spending time with your child or to change the amount of time they spend together. If you’re in this situation, get help right away.

You can talk to a lawyer who can tell you what steps to take to keep your children safe.

If you can’t afford to hire a lawyer for your whole case, some lawyers provide “unbundled services” or “limited scope retainer” services. This means you pay them to help you with part of your case. For example, they could help you complete your court forms, or prepare for a hearing.

If you can’t afford to hire a lawyer at all, you may be able to find legal help in other places.

Hide this website