4. Get legal help

Many people make a , Power of Attorney for Personal Care, and a will at the same time.

You can name the same person or people as your attorney for property, attorney for personal care, and or executor of your will. But you need a separate document for each

Talk to an estates lawyer for legal advice or help.

If you have a low income, some community legal clinics may be able to give you free legal advice about your Powers of Attorney.

If you have a low income and live in the Kingston area, you may be able to get help from the Queen’s University Elder Law Clinic.

The Law Society Referral Service can give you the name of a lawyer who you can talk to for up to 30 minutes for free.

Pro Bono Ontario’s free legal advice hotline can give you up to 30 minutes of free legal advice about creating Powers of Attorney. Call 1-855-255-7256.

The Ontario Legal Information Centre can give you up to 30 minutes with a lawyer over the telephone or in person. Call 1-844-343-7462 to speak with a lawyer about Powers of Attorney in English or French. You may have to leave a message.

If you’re not eligible to get help from a community legal clinic and cannot afford to hire a lawyer, there are services such as Axess Law that offer legal services at lower rates.

JusticeNet is a not-for-profit organization that helps people access legal services when their income is too high to qualify for legal aid but too low to afford legal fees. If your net family income is less than $59,000, they let you use their online directory of lawyers and paralegals who offer help at reduced rates. 

Hide this website