4. If the property is a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat

There are special steps you must take if you’re trying to seize a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat.

Complete two searches

Complete the following:

  • a Personal Property Security Act (PPSA) search, and
  • a Repair and Storage Liens Act (RSLA) search.

These searches will show:

  • whether the or anyone else owes any money on the vehicle
  • how much is owed on the vehicle
  • whether there is enough for the vehicle to be seized and sold

You can do both searches through ServiceOntario for a small fee. You can also hire a company to do these searches for you. If you do this, make sure that the company searches the Ontario registry.

Get a vehicle abstract

You must also get a vehicle abstract to prove the debtor owns the motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat. A vehicle abstract is also called a vehicle record. It gives the history of a vehicle, including who owns it now and who used to own it. You can get a vehicle abstract through the ServiceOntario website.

If you’re trying to seize a motor vehicle, you must also provide a copy of a Used Vehicle Information Package (UVIP). The UVIP must be less than 1 week old. You can get a UVIP from the Ministry of Transportation for a small fee.

Getting help

If you need help or more information, you can look on the ServiceOntario website, or call the helpline at (416) 314-8880, or toll-free in Ontario at 1-800-361-3223. ServiceOntario does not conduct searches over the phone.

If your question is specifically about a search for a vehicle abstract or UVIP, you can contact ServiceOntario’s Driver and Vehicle Contact Center at (416) 235-2999 or toll-free at 1-800-387-3445.

Hide this website