4. Apply for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan
Question & AnswerCan I get healthcare services after I make a refugee claim in Canada?
Through OHIP, Ontario pays for many healthcare services. Once you apply for OHIP and are approved, you’ll get a health card to prove that you’re covered by OHIP. You must show your card to doctors, nurses, or other healthcare providers to get healthcare services.
OHIP covers many healthcare services, including:
- appointments with your family doctor
- visits to walk-in clinics
- visits to an emergency room
- medical tests and surgeries
How to apply
As soon as you become a protected person, you can apply for OHIP. It’s best to apply right away because your Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) coverage will automatically expire 90 days after your claim is accepted.
- the decision accepting your refugee claim or PRRA that proves your protected person status
- a document that has your name and current home address in Ontario, such as your rental agreement, tax assessment, or school report card
- a document that has your name and your signature, like a credit card, employment identification card, or driver’s license
Many settlement agencies can help you apply for OHIP. To find a settlement agency in your area, go to Services Near Me.