3. Learn when your responsibilities will end

As a bondsperson, you’re expected to be responsible for the person until they receive permanent status, agree to leave Canada, or are removed from Canada.

Gets status

If the person receives status or status, you can write to Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to request the return of your cash bond. Include proof of the person’s status and a copy of the bond forms you signed.

Leaves Canada

If the person agrees to leave Canada, they must get a certificate of departure from the CBSA before they leave. The person should give you a copy of the certificate. This document will help prove that the person followed the conditions of their release. 

Send a letter to CBSA to request the return of your cash bond. Include a copy of the certificate of departure and a copy of the bond forms you signed.

Removed from Canada

If the person is removed from Canada, you need proof to ask CBSA to return the cash bond you paid. This can include a copy of a “Certificate of departure” that confirms the person left Canada.

You want to stop being a bondsperson

If you want to stop being a bondsperson, you can ask CBSA or the Immigration Division to release you from this obligation. You must have a good reason why you can no longer be a bondsperson. For example, you need to leave the country or you lost your job and need your money back.

There also must be another suitable bondsperson who meets all of the bondsperson requirements and who is willing to take your place. You and the person released from detention will have to go to CBSA with the new bondsperson to ask for the new bondsperson to be accepted.

If CBSA doesn’t approve this arrangement, you must remain responsible for the person. If that happens, you can write to the Immigration Division and ask for a hearing before the same Member that made the release order.

If you want to stop being a bondsperson because you’re in conflict with the person who was released or you no longer believe they will follow the conditions of their release, get legal advice about trying to end your obligation. You need to speak to your own lawyer, not the one who represented the person released from detention.

Hide this website