3. Check if your landlord has applied for a larger increase

If you are covered by the guideline, and the landlord wants to increase your rent by more than the guideline, then the landlord must apply to the .

The Notice of Rent Increase should be on a Form N1. The form must tell you that:

  • the landlord has applied for approval, or
  • the Board has already approved the increase.

If the landlord has applied, you should receive a separate about this. You and other affected tenants have the right to oppose your landlord’s .

The Board can allow an AGI for only the following reasons:

  • the cost of security services,
  • certain kinds of capital expenses
  • unusually high increases in property taxes (AGIs based on this are not allowed during 2021)

Capital expenses are major repairs, renovations, replacements, or additions that:

  • will last at least 5 years, and
  • are not part of normal ongoing maintenance.

If the Board has already approved the increase, you should have received:

  • notice about the landlord’s application, and
  • a copy of the Board’s saying how much your rent can increase.

If you didn’t get a notice about your landlord’s application to the Board, contact the Board to ask if your landlord has applied.

Hide this website