Learn what to do if someone getting benefits dies

If someone getting the Canada child benefit (CCB) dies, their family or estate must tell the (CRA) as soon as possible.

If someone else is eligible to get the CCB for the children, they won’t get the payments until:

  • the family tells the CRA that the person has died
  • the CRA figures out if the amount of the benefit payment will change

You can tell the CRA that someone getting the CCB has died by:

  • calling 1-800-387-1193
  • sending a letter to your local tax centre
Hide this website