Find out if you need to apply

In July 2016, the Canada child benefit (CCB) replaced the Canada child tax benefit, the national child benefit supplement, and the universal child care benefit.

You don’t need to apply for the CCB if you had been getting:

  • the Canada child tax benefit
  • the universal child care benefit

If you had been getting either of these benefits, the will decide whether you can get the CCB after you file your tax return.

And if you have a spouse or , they also have to file a tax return.

If you didn’t get the Canada child tax benefit or universal child care benefit 

If you weren’t getting either of these benefits, you can apply for the CCB.

When to apply

You should apply for the CCB as soon as possible after:

  • your child is born
  • a child starts to live with you
  • you begin to have of your child

Sometimes, it can be hard for you to tell if you’re eligible.

If you’re not sure, you should still apply for the CCB. That way, the Canada Revenue Agency will decide if you’re eligible. For example, you should still apply if:

  • your child only lives with you part of the time
  • you think your is too high
  • your child is living with you for a temporary period of time, for example, the summer holidays
Hide this website