Figure out who gets the Canada child benefit

Only one person in your household can apply for the Canada child benefit (CCB).

If you and the child’s other parent live together, the should apply.

Primarily responsible parent

The law says that the parent who’s “primarily responsible” is the one who takes care of the child on a daily basis. If both parents do this, it should be the parent who spends more time taking care of the child’s needs.

Families with female and male parents

In a family with a female and male parent, the law automatically considers the female parent or guardian to be the primarily responsible parent. 

Same-sex parents and fathers

When applying for the CCB, you might need a letter from your child’s other parent that says you’re the primarily responsible parent, if:

  • you’re in a same-sex relationship
  • you’re a father
Hide this website