2. Learn about your child’s options

The Ontario Human Rights Commission has released their latest take on mandatory vaccines, passports and testing, here: http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/news_centre/ohrc-policy-statement-covid-19-vaccine-mandates-and-proof-vaccine-certificates. In light of this update, and the new directives that the Province released a few weeks ago, we are in the process of updating our covid testing content. Please re-visit the site to access the updated content when it is available.

If your adult child lives with you and is “financially independent”, the general rule is that Ontario Works (OW) does not include them in your household. If OW says that your adult child who lives with you is financially independent, they may be able to choose between:

  • applying for assistance from OW on their own, or
  • being included in your household.

To find out how this can affect your , talk to a community legal clinic.

When your child does not have a choice

There are times when adult children do not have a choice and OW will not let them be included in your household. This happens if:

  • your child owns or rents the home where you live and you do not,
  • you get Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) money from ,
  • you get money from the Ontario Guaranteed Annual Income System (GAINS),
  • you require your child to pay housing costs to live with you, or
  • your child is legally responsible for paying some of the costs of living with you, such as rent, heating, or hydro. For example, their name might be on the rental agreement you have with your landlord, or on a utility bill.

Making a choice

Your child may want to know which option will lead to the most money from OW in total. 

For more information and help deciding what to do, they may want to contact a community legal clinic.

Hide this website