1. Know if an adult child is financially independent

The Ontario Human Rights Commission has released their latest take on mandatory vaccines, passports and testing, here: http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/news_centre/ohrc-policy-statement-covid-19-vaccine-mandates-and-proof-vaccine-certificates. In light of this update, and the new directives that the Province released a few weeks ago, we are in the process of updating our covid testing content. Please re-visit the site to access the updated content when it is available.

If your adult child lives with you and is “financially independent”, the general rule is that the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) does not include them in your household. But your child may be able to choose to be included. See Step 2.

To find out how this can affect your , talk to a community legal clinic.

What “financially independent” means

ODSP will say that your adult child is “financially independent” if any of the following apply:

And, if there’s a month when your adult child has or above what Ontario Works (OW) allows for a single person on OW, they would be financially independent for that month.

Living independently for 2 years

ODSP will also say that your child is financially independent if one or more of the following apply and the time they apply adds up to 2 years or more:

  • They had income above the amount Ontario Works (OW) allows for a single person on OW. And this income was not from child or spousal support.
  • They got their housing costs and basic needs from someone other than their parents or an institution, like a hospital or a prison. For example, they lived with a friend who supported them.
  • They got social assistance on their own from OW or ODSP.
  • They lived away from their parents’ home after the age of 18, unless it was to attend school full-time.

The 2 years do not have to be all in a row.

Hide this website