3. Get legal advice

Get legal advice if you need help to know whether you have the right to make a to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

A lawyer who knows immigration law can tell you whether:

  • you’re eligible to apply
  • there’s a chance that your H&C application will be successful
  • you have other options

Depending on your situation, there may be other ways for you to apply for permanent residence in Canada. For example, if your reasons for making an H&C application might also be the basis for making a refugee claim, a lawyer can help you decide which option is best for you.

If you’re inadmissible to Canada

If you’re , a lawyer can tell you what your options are. Making an H&C application might not be the best thing for you to do.

And if you make an H&C application, you have to ask IRCC to accept your application, even though you’re inadmissible. A lawyer can help you do this.

It might be a good idea to include an application for a Temporary Resident Permit with your H&C application. But you need legal advice to find out if you should do this.

Risk of being removed or detained

Making an H&C application does not give you the right to stay in Canada until you get a decision. A lawyer who knows immigration law can tell you if you’re at risk of being removed from Canada.

If you don’t have a risk of being detained after making an H&C application.

Hide this website