1. Get the correct application package

Both you and your partner must fill out the required forms in your application package.

And you need to use the correct application package from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The package will depend on the information you give about:

  • who you’re sponsoring
  • where they live
  • what other countries you need documents from

The package includes forms, instructions, and a checklist.

IRCC sometimes changes the forms. So it’s important to make sure that you’re using current versions.


The forms for an application to sponsor a or partner always include:

You need the Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) form if someone is helping you complete your application and:

  • you want them to be able to communicate with IRCC on your behalf, or
  • you want to help your spouse or partner complete their forms and you want to be able to communicate with IRCC on their behalf.

You may have to complete other forms, for example, if your spouse or partner has a . Check the instructions in the guide and the checklist for your package.

Requirements for specific countries

Depending on where your spouse or partner has lived, there may be additional forms and special instructions. The correct package for you will give this information.

For example, your spouse or partner might have lived in more than one country. They need to get a police certificate for:

  • the country where they lived most of their life after the age of 18, and
  • each country where they’ve lived for 6 months or more.

How to get a police certificate depends on the country you’re getting it from.

Hide this website