1. Get the correct application package

To sponsor a child, you need to use the correct application package from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The package you need depends on:

  • who you’re sponsoring
  • where they live
  • what other countries you need documents from

The package includes forms, instructions, and a checklist.

IRCC often updates the forms. So it’s important to make sure you’re using current versions. If you don’t, IRCC will send your application back to you.


The forms for an application to sponsor a always include:

You need the Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) form if someone is helping you complete your application and:

  • you want them to be able to communicate with IRCC on your behalf, or
  • you want to help the child, or your or partner, complete their forms and you want to be able to communicate with IRCC on their behalf.

Check the instructions in the guide and the checklist that comes with your package for all the forms that you need to complete.

Requirements for specific countries

For some countries, there are additional forms required and special instructions for getting documents. The correct package for you will give this information. It depends on where the child lives and where you need to get documents from.

For example, a child might live in one country and have lived in other countries. A child who is 18 or older needs to get a police certificate for the country:

  • where they now live, if they’ve lived there 6 months or more, and
  • where they lived most of their life after the age of 18.

How to get a police certificate depends on the country you’re getting it from.

Hide this website