Know what to do if an employer asks for your record

If an employer asks you to get a police record check, you don’t have to do it. But if you don’t, you probably won’t get the job.

It’s best to have the police give the results of the record check directly to you and not the employer. That way, you’ll know what’s in it.

If you want the police record check to go directly to the employer, ask the employer to give you:

  • a copy when they get it
  • a chance to explain what’s in it before they decide whether to hire you

Knowing your legal rights is important but you might also want to talk to an employment counsellor. They may be able to give you practical advice on how to answer questions that an employer might ask. What they suggest will depend on what’s in your police record and what kind of job you’re applying for.

To find an employment counsellor in your area, call 211 or visit the 211 Ontario website. 211 Ontario gives people information about services in their community.

Hide this website