3. Ask for accommodation

Employers, landlords, unions, and providers have a duty to you. This could mean doing things differently for you so that you’re treated equally. Some people call this “removing barriers” that cause people to be treated differently because of personal differences that are listed in the Human Rights Code. The legal word for this is .  

Explain your needs

Tell your employer, landlord, , or service provider about your needs. For example, if you have a need that is related to your religion, you have to show that you have a sincerely held belief that is of religious significance to you.

If you have a need related to childcare responsibilities, you might have to explain your situation. You are expected to make reasonable efforts to look for childcare options that don’t interfere with work. You might have to share information about the options you looked into, such as hiring a babysitter or finding a daycare that is closer to your workplace.

If you have a disability, you don’t have to say what your diagnosis or is, but you might have to say that you have a disability and share information about how it affects you. . 

Give options

Give your employer, landlord, union, or service provider different options that can help you address your needs.

Accommodation can be different for different people. Here are some examples:

  • have flexible work hours or break times to meet childcare needs
  • have a sign language interpreter or real time captioning for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing so they can take part in meetings
  • make washrooms accessible at work or in the common areas of a condominium
  • allow breaks at prayer times
  • reschedule tests, interviews, and meetings to avoid conflict with a religious holiday

You have to co-operate with your employer, landlord, union, or service provider to find a solution that is appropriate for you and would not cause them . The accommodation you get might not be the same as what you asked for.

Your employer, landlord, union, or service provider might not have to accommodate you in the way you asked for if they can prove that the accommodation will cause them undue hardship.

Hide this website