5. Take legal action

Some cases of can be decided by the . In other situations, you may have to take your case to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.

Landlord and Tenant Board

If the solution you want is something that the Landlord and Tenant Board can order, you can file an to the Board.

Or the discrimination might be related to a case your landlord is bringing to the Board. For example, your landlord might be trying to you for a reason related to your . You might want to talk about the discrimination at the hearing of the landlord’s case.

The Board has to consider the Human Rights Code when making decisions about eviction or anything else.

Human Rights Tribunal

Some cases of discrimination can only be taken to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario. For example, the Landlord and Tenant Board can’t do anything about a landlord who won’t rent to you for a discriminatory reason, but the Human Rights Tribunal can.

In other cases, you can choose between the Human Rights Tribunal or the Landlord and Tenant Board. The Human Rights Legal Support Centre can help you choose the best option and help you apply to the if that is what you decide to do.

Hide this website