4. Defend yourself if the landlord demands payment

If you move out without giving proper notice, your landlord might try to get you to pay rent for some time after you moved. You might get a letter or a phone call from the landlord, a lawyer, a paralegal, or a collection agency. Or you might get a legal called a Plaintiff’s Claim if the landlord decides to sue you in Small Claims Court.

You may not agree with the amount your landlord is asking you to pay. If you have followed the previous steps, you might have information to help you defend yourself. For example, the landlord might be asking for rent for the time after your legally ended or a new tenant moved in. Or you might be able to show that your landlord didn’t try very hard to find a new tenant.

If a collection agency has contacted you, learn about your rights and the rules the collection agency must follow.

If you are being sued in Small Claims Court, read the Plaintiff’s Claim carefully to see what the deadline is for you to file a Defence. Find out how the court’s process works.

Hide this website