3. Get your landlord to follow the law

If your landlord takes or keeps your belongings without following the law, or does not let you come get your things, you can call the Ontario government’s Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU) at 1-888-772-9277 (toll-free) or 416-585-7214.

If the RHEU think that your landlord might not be following the law, they can contact your landlord to discuss it. Sometimes this can solve the problem. In serious cases, the RHEU may decide to lay charges against your landlord.

You can also call the police non-emergency number. But usually police officers will not get involved in this kind of situation.

Sometimes getting a lawyer or legal aid clinic to contact your landlord can also solve the problem.

Hide this website