2. Look at the landlord’s affidavit

An is a written statement that was signed in front of a witness. Your landlord must give the Board an affidavit from the person who wants to move into your rental unit.

The affidavit should give you more information about the person who wants to move in, and why they want to move in. If your landlord gave you the Form N12 on or after September 1, 2017, the affidavit must say that this person plans to live there for at least 1 year.    

To get a copy of the affidavit, you can go to the Board office where your hearing is scheduled.

If you cannot get to the Board office because it is far away, or if you have a telephone or video hearing, you can call the Board to ask if they will send you a copy of the affidavit. Or, if you have a low income, you can call your local community legal clinic to see if they can help you.

At the hearing, you have the right to question the person who signed the affidavit. Ask your landlord to bring that person to the hearing.

If your landlord does not promise to have the person there, you can ask the Board to let you them. This would mean that they have to come to the hearing to answer questions.


Hide this website