1. Find someone to help you negotiate with your landlord

You might want to try talking with your landlord before your hearing to see if you can reach an agreement. You can have someone represent you in these discussions or you can do it yourself.

Here are some options for places to ask for help with settlement agreements or before your Board hearing date:

  • Community Legal Clinics (CLCs): Most CLCs across Ontario give free legal help or advice on law issues to people who have low incomes.
  • Tenant Duty Counsel: Tenant Duty Counsel are lawyers and community legal workers who can help you at most locations across the province on the day of your hearing. In some locations, they are available before the hearing day. Duty counsel can help you work out a settlement with your landlord or help you talk to Board mediators.
  • If you live in Toronto and your landlord is discriminating against you, you might be able to get help from the Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation or the Human Rights Legal Support Centre.
  • Depending on where you live in Ontario, you might be able to get help from a community mediation program either for free or for a low cost.
  • Depending on where you live in Ontario, you may be able to speak to a Board mediator before your hearing date by telephone. You can call the Board to find out whether this is possible in your case.
  • Law Society of Ontario has a Directory of all lawyers and paralegals who are licensed to practice law in Ontario. You will have to pay for their services, but they can help you with your case.
Hide this website