1. Check for problems with the notice

The Board can dismiss your landlord’s case if there are problems with the Notice to End your Tenancy Because the Landlord, a Purchaser or a Family Member Requires the Rental Unit – Form N12 that your landlord gave you. For example:

  • You did not receive the N12 at least 60 days before the on the (the date your landlord wants you to move out).
  • The date is not the last day of your rental – usually the day before your rent is due.
  • Your is for a fixed (for example, a one-year ) and the termination date is earlier than the last day of the fixed term
  • The N12 does not tell you who wants to move into the rental unit.
  • Your landlord is not an individual (for example, it’s a corporation).
  • The person who wants to move into the unit is not:
    • your landlord,
    • your landlord’s spouse, child, or parent, or their spouse’s child or parent, or
    • a caregiver for your landlord or for one of the above family members.
  • The person who wants to move into your unit does not plan to live there for at least a full year.
  • The notice is for a caregiver to move in but the person they will be taking care of does not live in the same building or group of buildings.
  • The building you live in is owned by a co-operative or group of owners and contains more than 4 units.
  • Your landlord hasn’t paid you at least 1 month’s rent or offered you another unit that is acceptable to you.
N12 notice for landlord’s use
N12 notice for landlord’s use
Check for problems with the eviction notice
Hide this website