3. Think about making a human rights complaint

If you think a service provider has discriminated against you, you may also be able to apply to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.

The service agency might be discriminating if:

  • You live in a group home that only serves food that your religion says you can’t eat.
  • You are forced to go to church, synagogue, mosque, temple or other religious places that you don’t want to go.
  • You are insulted or treated badly because of your skin colour or what country your family came from.
  • You aren’t allowed to have a boyfriend or girlfriend because of your disability or your sexual orientation.

These are examples of things that might be discrimination.

You can get free legal advice and information from the Human Rights Legal Support Centre. The Centre can help you decide:

  • if you should make a claim with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
  • what might help you prove that you were discriminated against

You can also use the Centre’s online tool Can We Help You? to find out if you might be able to make a claim.

You can also call ARCH Disability Law Centre for legal help if you think you’re being discriminated against by a developmental service agency or worker. ARCH can help you:

  • decide if your situation is what the law says is discrimination
  • find ways to resolve the problem
  • deal with the service agency
  • take further legal steps
Hide this website