Learn about customary care agreements

If you or your child identify as or see yourselves to be First Nations, Inuk, or Métis, a (CAS) must make all reasonable efforts to make a plan for  if they think that your child is a and shouldn’t live in the family home. Your child doesn’t need to be an official member of the community.

A customary care agreement allows the First Nations, Inuk, or Métis child to stay connected to their culture and community. Your child is the shared responsibility of everyone who signs the customary care agreement. 

This means that your child isn’t legally in the care of CAS. Your agreement will say what the roles and responsibilities of CAS and each person who signs the agreement are. The person who cares for your child on a day to day basis may get financial help to care for them.

A customary care agreement is voluntary. All of the following people have to agree to it:

  • the child’s birth parents, if possible
  • the person who represents your child’s community
  • the caregivers who will look after the child
  • a person who represents CAS
  • the child, if they are 16 years old or older

This type of agreement also has no time limits. A child can be in care for as long as they need.

If your child is in customary care right before they turn 18, they can join a continued support program. This program is for young people aged 18 to 20. It offers them financial and other support, such as services from a CAS worker.

Hide this website